RM of Pense

Building and Development

Development Permit

Development permits are first required to ensure the proposed development conforms to the policies contained in our Zoning Bylaw and OCP (see Bylaws, Policies and Other Documents page).

A development permit application and site plan drawing must be submitted (and the applicable fee paid) for most development within the R.M. The fees are:

    • Residential – $75
    • Agricultural – $75
    • Commercial & Industrial – $150 (for a value of development up to $350,000)
    • Commercial & Industrial – $600 (for a value of development over $350,000)

        * plus any additional administration, advertising or consulting fees incurred by the municipality. 

Some applications may require further inquiries which could delay the process.  Further inquiries include:

    • consultation with our planning consultant;
    • consultation with the provincial community planning department;
    • consultation with other agencies;
    • notification to adjacent landowners (re: discretionary use).

It is also possible that a geotechnical report may be required, to be obtained by the applicant, with regards to environmentally sensitive land.  Examples:

    • elevation and potential flooding;
    • slope instability;
    • areas of high water table; etc

Development Permit Application

Building Permit

Once the development permit is approved, a building permit application (which includes a set of building plans) must be submitted to the R.M. for approval prior to the commencement of any building.

The R.M. contracts it’s building inspection services to MuniCode Services Ltd., Warman, Saskatchewan; Phone: (306) 955-6355.

Buildings over 100 square feet are required to have a valid building permit. Buildings that are exempt from this requirement are: Agricultural out buildings including granaries, sheds, barns, etc.

Building permit fees are calculated on:

    1. Plan reviews
    2. Number of inspections required.

On the building permit application, Value of Construction means: the total cost of the building to the owner in its completed form and includes the cost of all building work, materials of construction, building systems, labor, overhead and profit of the contractor and subcontractors. The cost of labor and used material are deemed to be the current market cost of new material and labor.

There are new Energy Compliance regulations as of 2019. Please use the Required Forms for Energy Compliance Checklist (included in the application below) to see which forms you will be required to submit with your Building Permit Application. These forms will not be required for the renovation, repair, alteration or relocation of a building the was constructed before January 1, 2019. Construction of garages do not require the energy compliance forms. If you have any questions about these forms, feel free to contact MuniCode at the number noted above.


Building Permit Application


Building Code Regulations – Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms

On January 1, 2022, the Construction Codes Act and Building Code Regulations came into effect in Saskatchewan replacing the Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards Act and Regulations.

The Building Code Regulations has the following requirements that will come into force on July 1, 2022:

  1. Every building that contains a residential occupancy is required to have smoke alarms installed inside each bedroom, in the bedroom corridor, and each storey without a bedroom. These smoke alarms are permitted to be battery operated. Ifthe building was constructed before June 6, 1988, then the batteries used for the smoke alarms must be 10-year batteries (see photo attached for example of 10-year battery alarm).
  2. Every building that contains a residential occupancy is required to have a carbon monoxide alarm installed inside each bedroom ORwithin 5 m (16’) of each bedroom door. These carbon monoxide alarms are permitted to be battery operated. Ifthe building was constructed before October 1, 2009, then the batteries used for the carbon monoxide alarms must be 10-year batteries (see photo attached for example of 10-year battery alarm).

What does this mean for owners?

If your residence is missing smoke and/or carbon monoxide alarms in the locations listed above, then as the owner it is your responsibility to install the missing alarms.

The municipality and building officials, MuniCode Services Ltd., are not required to enter every property to ensure that these alarms are installed. However, when a building official does enter the building for other reasons (building permit related), then due diligence by verifying the installation will be completed.


Sask 1st Call

Contact Sask1stCall (1-866-828-4888, or online at www.sask1stcall.com or www.clickbeforeyoudig.com to conduct line locates and mark the location of the existing underground infrastructure within and adjacent to the proposed work area. Line locates should be requested a minimum of three full working days prior to the start of work and must be completed prior to ground disturbance activities. Please be aware that the record of locate is valid for 10 business days.

The SaskEnergy and TransGas crossing coordination web pages and crossing application forms are linked below if you are planning to conduct any ground disturbance or work with heavy machinery within 30.0 meters of the TransGas or SaskEnergy easement or within 5.0 meters of the gas line.